Catch the chillwave, glo-bro. Slumber pop? Slumber rock? Kewl Boring Music 2 Smoke Weed 2?

When describing Toro Y Moi (aka Chaz Bundick), or his debut album "Causers Of This", you'll hear lots of words involving beaches, bros, and sleeping. But sadly, folks, this is a crock of bullshit: this mini pop masterpiece is an ocean. Clever, right?

Dreamy vocals, skittering samples, with washed up drums and synths carrying it home: I'm undecided on whether or not this album should be meant for a summer or winter listen. However, it's perfect to nap to. Perfect to read a book to. Perfect to write to. I suppose this undermines the album (and makes it seem incredibly boring), but I really cannot say enough great things about Toro Y Moi.

I'm sorry to join the bandwagon on this one, but the kids are right. PROOF? Check out the single "Blessa" for a good summation of what's going on.

(I'd also like to note that WUML and myself do NOT endorse the term "chillwave", "glo" anything, etc.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

top